Later this afternoon, I’m leaving for a 3-day trip to Montréal on the occasion of a good friend’s bachelor party. The number of things I know about Montréal are few: it’s clean, everyone speaks French, they have a famous jazz festival which I fear that I will be forced to attend, and it’s generally cooler than New York — at least it had better be, because it’s sweltering here. I imagine my experience will be somewhat like the experience I had in Syndey: pristine, elegant and pleasant, yet small and mediocre. I’m such a snob! Anyway, I’m looking forward to it, and keeping an open mind.
I debated last night whether I should bring along my PowerBook with me on this trip. Ultimately, it seemed a little too nerdy to tote along a laptop on a leisure trip that’s going to fall just short of 48 hours — I’m returning Sunday afternoon. So I figure I should try and clear our some of these random items that I’ve been thinking about all week, but haven’t had the time to turn into real blog posts:
- There’s a new redesign up at Absenter.org by my friend Naz, and it looks very dapper.
- For the past few days, I’ve been doing some new marketing materials at Behavior, using Adobe InDesign. Notwithstanding the fact that I’m once again working in print, I find InDesign to be a really terrific application — I like it far, far better than QuarkXPress 4. And no, there’s no way that Behavior is going to fork over US$1,045 for QuarkXPress 6; I hope such exorbitant pricing results in a huge bellyflop for that mendacious company.
- I didn’t write much about the new Apple announcements, but I’m very, very tempted to treat myself to a Power Macintosh G5. The price is astoundingly reasonable for such a powerful machine, and it’s possibly the best-looking tower chassis I’ve ever seen.
- A co-worker and I installed iChat AV on our respective Macintoshes, and we were able to get the microphone up and running effortlessly. I’m pretty sure I’m going to buy an iSight.
- Despite the so-so reviews, I’m so ready to go see “Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle.”
- I’ve been thinking about a critical rating system for movies, one that can gauge the various factors that influence people’s opinions of films: artfulness, entertainment value, personal affinity etc. I’ll write more on this later.
- I can’t believe how busy I am. Summers are supposed to be slow!